Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Planning: Hands Off!

Sooooo, off the usual topic but still something I wanted to share. Recently in twitter news the issue of trademark came up. *A trademark or trade mark is a distinctive sign or indicator used by an individual, business organization other legal entity to identify that the products or services to consumers with which the trademark appears originate from a unique source, and to distinguish its products or services from those of other entities.

Trademarking, is something that I have had on the back burner for a long, long, long, loooooooong time (psst. longer than I care to disclose). I always new it was a priority and something I needed to do, but in my head at the time, it was not number one on my list of to-do's today! Well, wha-da-ya-know, that thought process changed quick fast when a fellow planner had to experience of the ordeal of building a brand and then having to change her name because of trademarking.

I won't go into details because it isn't my story to tell and I don't know either parties involved personally, but it was certainly a lesson learned. One that I am sure many others following the debacle on twitter also learned. So watching this unfold and reading the harrowing tale, I made it my number one priority to secure the name that I have created and in a constant state of building...JunePlumm Events. And how lazy of me, the application for trademarking was all complete and all I had to do was push the stinking purchase button...smh at myself.

I admit, the price tag was a little tough to swallow but in the end well worth it. So while I am saddened for what she had to go through, I do commend her for how gracefully she handled the situation and am even more grateful for the wake-up call that myself and many others have just received.

So, on Friday (11/6/09) I pushed the purchase button...Finally. And on Tuesday (11/10/09)received the most awesomest e-mail. It read "...found no potential conflicts with your mark...". You know what that means...



IT'S MINE...SO HANDS OFF!!!

(chuckle)


*courtesy of wikepedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails