Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Planning: No Glove No Love

As a little tot, every time my mind dared to wonder about my wedding, there is one constant image that never changed...GLOVES... long white satin GLOVES. I don't know what it is about that simple accessory that can instantly turn a simple dress into a classy elegant gown. Give me a minute I am having a moment... okay I am back. I have poked around the world- wide web and found so many different options for gloves, one to suit every personality, style and depth of wallet. Long, Short, Lace, Buttoned, Colored, Fingerless, and so on. With so many options out there you almost can't go wrong. I said ALMOST. After speaking with a few folks about my mini obsession, there were a few questions that were commonly asked:


How do you choose the right glove?
To achieve success you have to do some test runs. If you have decided that you want to wear gloves and have purchased your gown, try on different style and lengths of gloves with your gown. This way you have a first hand view of what it will look like on the day and will allow you to purchase a pair of gloves that will compliment and not compete with your gown. You may also find that you & your gown will look its best without gloves...that too is a possibility.

What do you do when it is time to exchange rings? Some women will slip off the glove when it is time to exchange the ring, but who wants to stand there with one glove and a gorgeous dress in front of the love of your life. Every moment is a photo op and I don't think the uni-glove look is a good one (on your wedding day). This is where the fingerless gloves comes becomes good option. Even though it is my least favorite of the glove choices, it eliminates the need to have to make an extra decision on top of the already millions of decisions that you have to make while planning the wedding. Another popular option, and my personal choice is to slit the seam of the ring finger on the glove so you can expose the finger to receive your ring at the opportune time... without having the uni-glove look and ensuring that you are prepared for every photo op


Can I wear gloves in the Spring/Summer?
Heck yeah, why not! Sure in the winter it can help with the chill in the air, but in the warmer months, the glove still serves as an elegant accessory. So rock it even if it is 95 degrees outside... I would.

Do I have to keep the gloves on all night?
Absolutely not. You can take them off when you are ready. Preferably after the ceremony, receiving line and portraits are being taken (you may want to take some off if your portraits without the gloves to have a variety). A good rule to remember - when you are ready to bustle the dress, remove the blusher or slip into your comfy shoes, it is time to remove your gloves.

What if I am not getting married, can I still wear the gloves?
Of course, take a page out of Ms. Hepburn's book. Have a few glove test runs before the "big day". Maybe with a cocktail dress or to a black tie affair or dare to be different and hit the latest hot spot with a sexy pair of tuxedo pants a sweetheart bustier w/ matching pair of opera length gloves...hmmmmmmm let's marinate on that.
If your motto is also No Glove, No Love, please remember that wearing them on your wedding day is NOT an excuse to omit a manicure. You HAVE to take off your gloves at some point. And it irks me to see an un-gloved un-manicured ring finger (hands)...yuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails