Friday, May 22, 2009

Planning: Use YOUR voice

Recently I have been in discussions with a few vendors for services for an upcoming wedding. One vendor in particular (who's name and industry I will withhold for obvious reasons) was holding steadfast to rates in their respective field. I truly understood the position that was taken as we in the service business have to maintain a threshold where we feel we are not providing our services for free. But I also understood that my client's position is sticking to the budget. The service fees quoted was a few hundred out of our budget and neither was willing to fold...not yet at least.

Realizing I was getting nowhere with this particular vendor, I decided to switch it up a bit. Instead of continuing to negotiate for lower rates, I began to inquire into additional services/amenities they may be willing to offer to cushion the blow to the wallet. Being that this vendor was such a stickler I neeeeeeeeeeeever thought we were going to get anywhere with this, but surprisingly enough, we both reach a satisfactory agreement. We were offered not one but TWO extra amenities with an approximate value of $350...yeahhh. I am still in shock over this one.

By using my (our) voice, I was able to secure amenities for my client that would have never been received had I not asked. In the end, we spent a little extra here but save far more over there thus still rendering us under budget.

During your conversations with vendors/service providers, always remember to listen to your inner voice and use your outer voice. SPEAK UP!!! You may not always win (by no means am I suggesting that my situation is the norm) however, if you don't try anything you are running the risk of losing out on something...spectacular.

Remember, those in the service business want to make money, and unless you are asking for something totally unrealistic and ridiculous, you two are probably going to walk away from the table reaching a happy medium.

Oh, before I go, ALWAYS make sure all of your additional perks and amenities are clearly stated in your service contract. I would hate for you to be stuck with a vendor that has a sudden case of amnesia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails