Friday, June 5, 2009

Planning: Flashback to Fashion!!

After channeling my version of a Jody Watley look for an 80's themed party and then watching my parents wedding video from 24 years ago I began to feel a bit nostalgic. I began to think of the saying that everything that was old becomes new again. This becomes very apparent when you enter the department stores and the racks are crawling with looks from back in the day.

Even bridal salons are serving up a good old fashion dose of "vintage style" and the ever popular "classic look". All of this is going through my head while watching the wedding video. The poof and the frill was all over except my mom's gown was surprisingly less of an "80's look" than I remembered. A plunging back and front lace V-neck A-line gown with a train. Long sheer sleeves with a sheath ( over the sleeves) and finished with white satin gloves. Aside from the sheath over the sleeve, I can easily see that look in the stores today.

Which brings me to my post, let's take a gander at where we were and where we are now in bridal fashion. A walk down memory lane if you will.

The 1980's bride in lace:




Her Modern Day Counterpart (also in lace):



The 1980's Headdress:


And Her Modern Day Counterpart:



1980's Bridesmaids (don't they look ecstatic to be in such lovely gowns):

And Her Modern Day Counterpart:



1980's Bridal Party:



And Her Modern Day Counterparts:


Interesting to say the least. When choosing your wedding gowns and the gowns for your bridal party it is important to choose gowns that you will not only look good today but also look just as good tomorrow, the next day and the day after that. Some of us are so into the trend, the happening but will it be so happening in, let's say 24 years? Think about it! Choose wisely! Or else you will end up in my next post in 24 years:)

Do you know of a modern day trend that you KNOW will be considered a DON'T in years to come? IF so what are they?

2 comments:

  1. Personally as a proponent of love and life from the Victorian era I love this notion of the brides dresses from the 80's. Well most of them anyway. It instills the notion of some "innocence" in weddings when the "untouched" was in white. Lol....and the person who caught the bouquet would really be next to be wed.
    Thanx for the memory JunePlumm--maybe one day I'll forward the pic from a bridal party in the 80's--dresses similar to the ones above, myself the bridesmaid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks AGM, I had a good laugh watching the video. Especially seeing myslef in the flower girl costume, yeah I said costume! I looked like a chocolate version of Little Bo Peep:) FYI: I will show you mine if you show me yours:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails