Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Planning: So Hard to Say Goodbye...

I am in mourning. Mourning the passing of the great monumental establishment. The retail giant that was once and will always be Fortunoff’s.

On a bi-monthly basis (or more frequently) I would make the 25+ mile to the Fortunoff’s @ The Source Mall in Westbury, LI for... anything. You name it I went looking for it. Sheets, Towels, tableware, table covers, decor, jewelry, or just to browse. I would peruse each and every floor just looking at the merchandise and the decor. Christmas was the best. The basement became a wonderful wonderland of holiday spirit and cheer. The store was just FABULOUS.

Originally, when I heard of its passing; I brushed it off as a horrible rumor. One that needed to be dispelled quickly. But alas, my rumor turned out to be a fact when I confirmed with a Fortunoff staffer. So here I am, two days after the official closing, and a few weeks after continuous closing sale bargain hunting and I am still mourning the loss. Where am I going to go to find exceptional home furnishings for my first home? Where would I suggest my brides go for their bridal registry? Where I am going to get my dishes (I am a flatware fanatic)? Where am I going to get my Egyptian cotton sheets? Where?


If you, especially brides and bride to be’s who had or considered having a registry at Fortunoff’s or are preparing to turn your house into a home after recently being wed. I offer you these other retail stores as a viable option to ease the pain of the passing of this establishment:

Williams Sonoma


Tiffany's


Crate and Barrel


Bed Bath and Beyond


Macy's


Target


***This post is dedicated to my dear friend Sharon. The friend that held the cart and stood guard while I dug deep in the bin of Egyptian cotton sheets looking for the Queen size 700 thread count. The friend that held the line while I grabbed the last extra tall vase in antique gold, almost out of someones hands. The friend that talked a man out of buying a bed frame just so she can buy it. I dedicate this post to you,

my friend.***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails